What Do All These Famous People Have in Common?
Let’s play a game.
It’s kinda’ like trivia, but not quite.
Here’s the deal. Scroll down gradually and examine each photograph. There’s no rush. Take your time. You should be able to identify most of these people in the photos. If you don’t know a particular name, that’s okay. It’s written below each photograph.
Each of these famous people has one thing in common. A common link ties them all together. I doubt if most of you will identify the common thread quickly, at least until close to the end, where the clues make the answer more obvious. See how long it takes you to figure it out.
Ready to play?
Okay, let’s begin.
1. Forest Whitaker — Academy Award Winning Actor
2. Angie Harmon — Actress (“Rizzoli and Isles”)
3. Usher — Singer and Musician
4. Shannon Elizabeth — Actress (“American Pie”)
5. Hilary Duff — Actress and Singer
Figured it out? Probably not. There aren’t enough clues yet to make a guess. Other than each of these people being popular, that’s about the only thing linking them together. Let’s continue…..
6. Kelly Clarkson — Singer (“American Idol”)
7. Jaclyn Smith — Actress (“Charlie’s Angels”)
8. Jamie Foxx — Academy Award Winning Actor
9. Nelly — Singer and Musician/Rapper
10. Beyonce — Singer
That last bunch of photos didn’t help much, did it? That’s ten famous people so far — and I doubt if anyone has guessed the answer yet. Let’s try five more clues…..
11. Dabney Coleman — Actor
12. Norah Jones — Singer/Musician and Songwriter
13. Steve Martin — Actor and Comedian
14. Eva Longoria — Actress
15. Carol Burnett — Actress and Comedian
I’m guessing we heard our first “bingo’s” during this last string of famous people. For those who haven’t figured it out yet, here’s some more hints. Don’t worry, the puzzle gets easier to solve the closer you scroll down to the end….
16. Chris Cooper — Academy Award Winning Actor
17. Joan Crawford — Legendary Film Actress (“Mommy Dearest”)
18. Debbie Reynolds — Actress and Performer
19. Dan Rather — CBS News Reporter/Anchor
20. Jennifer Love Hewitt — Actress
That probably didn’t help much, did it? Okay, let’s now make things a little easier to figure out….
21. Paul Begala — CNN Political Analyst
22. Bill Moyers — Former Presidential Adviser and PBS Journalist
23. Tommy Tune — Broadway Producer/Director/Performer
24. Stevie Ray Vaughn — Blues Guitar Legend
25. Jack Valenti — Former Presidential Adviser/Hollywood Mogul
By now, many of you have guessed correctly. You can scroll down to see more. There’s even a bonus question coming. For those still wondering what common thread links all of these famous people, read on….
26. Aaron Spelling — Television Producer
27. Howard Hughes — World’s Wealthiest Man/Aviator/Inventor/Recluse
28. Dennis Rodman — Former Basketball Star/Fruitcake
29. Woody Harrelson — Actor/Political Activist (NORML)
30. Ethan Hawke — Actor
Has anyone reading this not yet figured out the answer? Well, then — let’s make it easy the rest of the way….
31. Dennis Quaid — Actor
32. Jennifer Garner — Actress
33. Kris Kristofferson — Singer/Songwriter/Actor/Activist
34. Stanley Marcus — Businessman (Founder Neiman-Marcus)
35. Tommy Lee Jones — Academy Award Winning Actor
By now you’ve certainly figured out the common link. But for some, it probably took a while. The clues at the end made it much easier, agree? Tommy Lee Jones was probably the final giveaway.
All the people shown above were born in Texas.
Most of them grew up in the Lone Star State, as well. Of course, this is just a partial list. I picked out the faces that most would instantly recognize.
I like this kind of trivia question because it flies in the face of common stereotypes. Texas is often stigmatized by outdated images that don’t really apply to any of these people. I’m guessing that many of you were surprised to learn some of these people are native Texans.
Now, here’s a bonus question. What do the following people all have in common. Here’s a hint. It has something to do with Texas:
Jayne Mansfield — Legendary Film Actress
Janis Joplin — Singer and Music Legend
Neil deGrasse Tyson — Astrophysicist/Author/TV Personality
F. Murray Abraham — Academy Award Winning Actor (“Amadeus”)
Eli Wallach — Actor (“The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly”)
Walter Cronkite — Journalist and CBS Anchorman
Matthew McConaughey — Actor
Rene Zellwinger — Academy Award Winning Actress
Farrah Faucett — Actress (“Charlie’s Angels”)
Owen Wilson — Actor
Marcia Gay Harden — Academy Award Winning Actress
Okay, this one is much tougher, isn’t it? I’m guessing fewer people figured out this trivia question.
Ready for the final answer?
All of the above people attended and/or graduated from the University of Texas.
Life is indeed full of surprises.